Thursday, December 17, 2015

Star Wars - a new era

*Warning: NO spoilers*

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is officially out and beating several opening records....before the doors to the first screening even creaked upon their hinges. This global enterprise, which includes likely 100's of thousands of fans in its fandom and will likely boast nearly $5 billion {with a B} in merchandise sales, was destined for cinematic history before auditions began {hard to believe it's been 2 years since I waited in line for literally hours at Twickenham Park in London to audition for the role of Rey}.

However, you likely won't be seeing me in a theater near you... Thank you, social anxiety, albeit this is not the sole reason. As much as I love Star Wars, I feel the hype has become overrated, bringing people out of the woodwork, which does not bode well with someone who will require spending some time alone to recharge her batteries from being overly socially stimulated...

Growing up a mega nerd, I often faced mockery and ridicule for the very franchise which is now regarded as one of the largest in the cinematic and sci-fi industry, earning quite a few discerning looks by passersby in high school for my Chewbacca backpack. I find it fascinating that love for this conglomerate is now hailing one as "cool" - funny how that works, eh?


Hot Topic model with the same Chewie backpack I own...
except I don't look half as fab as she.

Trends come and go, cinematic and literary masterpieces gain and lose fandom momentum as the next "it" thing joins the scene...

....but I have a furry feeling that Star Wars may be one to stay, which is good and bad, because I really want to see the new movie without risk of an overcrowded and noisy theater and my R2-D2 ink isn't fading any time soon.

Thankful I have not seen any spoilers via social media, so at least people are being respectful, unlike so many countless other premiered movies.

Perhaps now that I have a few days off, I may venture off to see it...who knows, I just may get a little wild in my current state of being stranded and potentially going stir-crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment