Saturday, March 12, 2016

Wander-Dumps

I've posted on wanderlust before, a bittersweet mentality which causes euphoria and excitement during travels, yet anxiety when the same-old, same-old routine has spun 'round far too many times without a change of circulation...

Albeit bed is one of my favorite places in the world, with a beer in hand, no less...{case in point depicted in IG post below}


...traveling remains one of my favorite activities - I can't truly call it a hobby as it's a way of life....traveling, exploring, leaving no rock unturned, so to speak...

As Superman just returned from his trip to the Bahamas, I could not help but reflect on what I have recently coined the "wander-dumps," the opposite of wanderlust after a rude awakening and return to reality after a grand adventure.

After London, I found myself spiraling into the dark emotional hole of borderline depression and anxiety, attempting to assimilate into a college and friend culture which had changed in my absence, with unhappy thoughts of returning from such a wonderful three months and also overweight, which absolutely crushed my self-image.

After those life-changing three months in which I had lifelong friends and made memories of which I never would have dreamed possible in my dizziest daydreams, it was hard to leave a city in which I had always imagined living. Leaving meant never again will life nor time be the same. Those lovely friends I had made during that brief time would never be together in the same place, same time, in that perfect blink of a moment.

After Ireland, going back to work the following day was not the smartest idea as I did not allow time to decompress, to unwind, and deescalate from the traveling high which fellow explorers can appreciate....

As I see Superman struggle with this after only a few days of "perfection" on his cruise, I see commonalities in our thinking....desire to go out and traverse the world, to have fun, to break away from the mundane. It's hard to see that in someone else when I know the dark consequences of not being able to cope with returning from the place of my dreams and hope-to-be-future-home.

The wander-dumps are quite real and can, quite frankly, bite. However, this is why we seek out companionship in those who appreciate the rollercoaster of feelings associated with wanderlust and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment