Sunday, March 20, 2016

Running to get away

Metaphorically {and sometimes physically}

I'm fairly certain many people have that love/hate relationship with working out {okay, there are a plethora of people who love it, as I love bed...} but sometimes, taking to the pavement can provide that little escape needed, relinquishing focus from the "real world" to pushing through the onset of fatigue. Feelings can be funneled into energy, transferring anger or sadness into the fuel to push through another block...


For others, it's for a sense of accomplishment, those feel-good vibes from achieving a PR or getting through a particularly rough run. While I know I'm a slowpoke, I still {semi} enjoy lacing up my shoes and getting lost in a earful of Eminem and whatever other rapper who floods my headphones via the Rap Strength Training Radio station on Pandora.


The past weekend, my uncle went to run his 9th marathon - 9th! - at Virginia Beach. For him, I think running was a bit of a getaway at first and now, it's pretty dang impression what he's done.

It was pretty dang cold with 30mph winds and temps down in the 40s, but he persevered and finished with the other runners.


I think during my runs, a mental getaway from work & life....I used to run to try to run away from problems, knowing full well that they'll all be waiting for me to return from the road, but now it offers some clarity, a place to put pent-up energy before I lose my goddamn mind from the insanity that works has proven to be, as well as when I'm upset about silly insecurities or personal relationships. But, alas, we all must learn the age-old wisdom that we can't truly run away from our problems - the past and present still follows us around like an ambivalent shroud, a culmination of good & bad by design, as life often is.

Hmm perhaps I shall get back into the "good" habit of regular runs to reap the rewards of the endorphins and noticeably tauter buns...it's a much better solution to anxiety and feeling powerless in overwhelming feelings of doubt, uncertainty, etc. Sure, some do it for the fitness, I get it, but to be honest, those effects are only great side effects for me, not true motivators - I know myself all too well to try to fool myself into thinking otherwise.

Here's to seemingly futile attempts at retaining my sanity in the sanctity of running wild {figuratively and literally}.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment