Tuesday, September 1, 2015

On Tattoos and Piercings

I'm sorry, Mama,
I never meant to hurt you.
I never meant to make you cry,
but tonight, I'm cleaning out my closet.

Airing out the cobwebs of thoughts swirling in my mind, particularly when it comes to body modification aka ink and steel {tattoos and piercings}.

My Mum was none too thrilled when she saw the lovely e.e.cummings quote on my leg the day of uni graduation, but has come to understand hoc est corpus mium {this is my body}.


i carry your heart
(i carry it in my heart)

These beautiful lines hold a special place in my heart...those who are gone are never truly gone, tucked away in little crevices of our hearts where their memories lingers on long after their last breath.

I think of my Pop Pop and Grammie and the wondrous people who have passed on, as well as old friends whom I used to love from the bottom depths of my soul, with whom I no longer have much connection at all.


There's a certain taboo that tattoos are gawdy pieces of art displayed on the skin... like people, these permanent pieces of art can be big, small, realistic, stylized, colored, b&w....

The possibilities are endless. Ink requires quite the commitment {or the bank for future removal} so I can see why it is a big deal. However, it's also a form of expression or a means of beautifying one's body with significant symbols and words.

A cheeky little R2-D2 hides on my left hip, a comic-style homage to the fantastical world of droids and hyperspace.


While there are certain tattoo "fads" which come and go from time to time {mini mustaches from 2013 ring a bell?}, awareness for cancer and illness goes beyond what it is "in."

I love the message the semicolon conveys: an author inserts a semicolon when (s)he could have ended a sentence.

It's a continuance, holding on to an idea which could have so easily ended. In this, it is a sign of hope for those battling mental illness. A little reminder to myself that it's okay to seek help as friends have reached out to me in their times of need, I, too, can reach out to them when things just don't seem to be going well.

This semicolon represents my fight song.


Ka-Pow! Showing those negative inner voices who is boss in this world of chaos and pressures of perfection.

Messy hair, don't care

Oh! and my latest beauty... Easily shoved up my nose for work {have to remain professional when&where it counts}, loving my new septum piercing.

Sorry, Mummy.

A dainty little piercing....if you want to be a badass and have piercings all over, do you, honey. If that's your look, work it.

I only wish to provide a different facet to piercings and ink - people do them for various reasons and they can work for different looks!

When you see someone inked and pierced, don't judge. You don't know their story nor the significance of those beautiful images on their body. If you're part of the club, don't let the haters hate {might want to adhere to any dress codes for work to avoid confrontation...}.

We work to live, not live to work, so stay within the work parameters for those few hours on the work grind, but outside, be comfortable in your skin.

Time to clean and tuck the septum ring before work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment