Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Adulting in the 21st century

adulting: verb [uh-duhl-ting, ad-uhl-ting]

  • being able to do things you've always wanted to do, but your parents (or the law) wouldn't allow, i.e. eat cereal for brekkie, lunch, & dinner; take long, crazy adventure drives, drink a divine glass of Merlot with your cereal
  • having to do things you'd rather not do, but your parents (and the law) make you, i.e. check in every so often so they don't think you're dead, taxes
  • get a job so you can pay for your own things, i.e. cereal & Merlot

I'm still learning this whole "adulting" concept...


I wear trousers half of my days and can put together a nice jumper/button-down combo, so I feel ready to take on the world...sometimes.


My nightly solo walk to the parking garage...a bit like Russian roulette with my fears and overactive imagination. Most nights I don't think about my echo-y footsteps as I trudge to my car, fairly confident there are no monsters lurking as the lights brighten with motion.

This particular night {@12 midnight}...I was half-convinced I was on the set of a slasher film, especially as I kept hearing car doors and the only other car parked near me was, of course, parked 2 spots down from my driver's side. *Bert stare*

Some employees don't like walking back to their car alone, even in the middle of the day, but I find a bit of solace in my walk of solitude to my lonesome car and back to an empty apartment {albeit Mr. Hippy & Harry the stuffed cat are always awaiting my return}.

Perhaps adulting is learning more about who you are, what you want, where you want to go, and your tolerances of socialization/society.

Or, maybe it's just getting on that work grind day in and day out to build that career, and I'm thinking way too metaphorically into this...

XXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment